Past and present glories



In 2008 I was invited to submit an article to the Sheffield Telegraph identifying my favourite things about Sheffield. It's interesting for me to re read the article 15 years later and reflect on whether any of my selections have changed in that time. Here are some of the highlights of my article.

Views

My favourite view of all is from the Ox Stones, above Ringinlow. You can see Lincoln cathedral to the East and tantalising views of the Peak District to the West, which is a trove of happy memories of pottering with my family or running with friends. The view is better if you are brave enough to climb on top of the Ox Stones. Be careful though because getting down is harder than getting up! 

Modern Architecture

I love the juxtaposition between Sheffield's hills and its modern architecture. The straight lines and angles of the buildings that are much maligned give them beauty as they stand defiant against the slopes.  My favourite buildings are the Arts Tower, the Royal Hallamshire Hospital and the twin tower flats at Herdings (photo above). They wave at you across the City like old friends.

Marnock Gardens

Robert Marnock (1800-1889) designed several parks in Sheffield in the early 19th century including Weston Park, Botanical Gardens, High Hazels Park, the General Cemetery and the gardens at Kenwood Hall. In all his parks Marnock uses slopes, water and neo gothic architecture to provide features and surprises. Marnock also designed Regents Park in London. Coincidentally this year is the centenary of the founding of the Botanical Gardens and on 22 August there are a series of talks being held at the Botanical Gardens about Marnock to celebrate this. Check out this link for more information about Celebrating Marnock including the talks at the Botanical Gardens.

Upper Chapel Yard, Norfolk Street

This is my favourite place in town to take some time out and have a sandwich or read the newspaper. It includes some awesome statues by George Fullard (1923-1973) whose "Walking Man" is outside the Tudor Square entrance to the Winter Gardens and which I can remember earnestly walking past the "Egg Box" when I was a child. I love how the walking man is obviously whistling a tune.

If I was going to add to my 2008 selections I would include Gleadless Valley Woods and Whenfell Quarry Gardens at the end of Limb Lane.

What are your favourite things about Sheffield?

George





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving statues

Sheffield’s Urban Green Spaces

An alternative approach to being outdoors