Trees


My spontaneous tree hugging session with my daughter at the weekend got me reflecting on the status of trees and why they are worthy of a hug. It’s not hard to think of examples of sacred trees from myth or history; the Royal Oak used as a refuge by Charles 1, the Major Oak in Clumber Park home of Robin Hood to name just two. 



Famous tree worshippers include non other than King Charles III who in November 2019 revealed he shook hands with every tree he planted and wished it well (King Charles III). Julia “Butterfly” Hill who lived 61 metres up in a Giant Redwood in California for over two years between 1997 and 1999 (Julia Butterfly Hill). And then of course there is Daniel Hooper aka “Swampy” who occupied a tree he named “the Beancan” in Aylesbury in 2000 to protest about HS2 (swampy). 

I’ve never thought of myself as a tree worshipper but on reflection I think I am. I worship the Common Lime tree outside my bedroom window. I worship the Silver  Birch Tree my dad carved my and my brother’s initials in over 40 years ago (below - being hugged by Tim)

I worship the Pine tree that stands tall and proud at the high point of Redmires plantation which can be seen from miles around. I worship the two lone trees that keep each other company at Crookestone Barn. Why do I worship these trees? They are enormous and noble, they are each unique, they change to mark the seasons, they are landmarks, and they give us oxygen and house birds. I think that means they deserve a hug!

Which is your most sacred tree in or around Sheffield and why? 

21 June 2023

George



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving statues

Sheffield’s Urban Green Spaces

An alternative approach to being outdoors